To transform Plateau State into a tropical garden City, spruce and neat so as to attract investors coming to Plateau State, Nigeria.
To preserve and protect the Environment from both natural and man-made disasters and to ensure clean and healthy Environment.
The Ministry of Environment was established in 1999. It started as Ministry of Environment and Solid Minerals then became Ministry of Housing and Environment and then Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Environment and since 2011 is known as the Ministry of Environment.
The Commissioner of Environment, being the political head, provides leadership and guidance in the implementation of government policies and directives in consultation with the Permanent Secretary and Management. Under the Commissioner’s guidance, the Ministry initiates and advises higher levels of government on environmental matters.
The Permanent Secretary is the administrative head and accounting officer who superintends the day-to-day operations of the Ministry.
- ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION:
- ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SANITATION:
- POLLUTION CONTROL:
- ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT & INSPECTORATE SERVICES:
- FORESTRY AND WILDLIFE CONSERVATION:
- PLANNING, RESEARCH AND STATISTICS DEPARTMENT:
- FINANCE AND SUPPLY DEPARTMENT:
S/N PROJECT PURPOSE/OBJECTIVE YEAR OF AWARD LOCATION
- Acquirement of land for Integrated waste management facility (103Ha). Establishment/development of integrated waste management facilities. 2008 Ncei-Whiei- Miango in Bassa LGA.
- Construction of 60 medium size waste bins. To enhance waste collection from house-holds 2009 Ministry of Environment, Joseph Gomwalk Secretariat Jos
- Ecological Master Plan. Strategic action plan 2010 Ministry of Environment, Joseph Gomwalk Secretariat Jos .
- Purchase of a new hydraulic excavator cum loader (1462 N4x4) For evacuation of solid waste from sites. 2010 Ministry of Environment, Joseph Gomwalk Secretariat Jos.
- Procurement of 4 No. Mercedes Benz Axor 18 (4x2) with Keiler RK 14.50 Roll on Tipper and 4 No 12m3 Heavy Duty containers. For evacuation of solid waste from site of collection to final dumping site. 2012 Ministry of Environment, Joseph Gomwalk Secretariat Jos.
- Procurement of Laboratory Reagents For analysis of effluents from Factories and Industries Multi-purpose Laboratory, Ministry of Environment, Joseph Gomwalk Secretariat Jos.
- Purchase 20 slope cutters and 10 cartons of cutting rope For mowing and cutting of overgrown grass by the road sides and also the City centre 2013 Ministry of Environment, Joseph Gomwalk Secretariat Jos.
- Cutting and clearing of shrubs and grasses at new Government House Maintaining clean environment in the new Government House 2014 New Government House Rayfield Jos.
- Successful launching of tree planting Flag off Distribution of tree seedlings 2014.
- Reclamation of Gully erosion behind Nigerian Standard Building, West of Mines Jos. To protect lives and properties. 2012 Behind Nigerian Standard/ West of Mines in Jos LGA
- Reclamation of Gully Erosion at Gasen Kuru. To protect lives and properties. 2012 Gasen Kuru (Trade centre) in Jos South LGA
- Rehabilitation, Fencing and furnishing of Shendam Divisional office. To avoid encroachment to Government property and to create a conducive working environment. Shendam
- Resuscitation of Bukuru Central Nursery 80,000 assorted seedlings. 2014 Bukuru.
- Reclamation of Gully Erosion at Relevant Technology Board Jos To protect lives and properties. 2012 Relevant Technology Board in Jos North LGA.
- Reclamation of gully erosion at Gold and Base I & II To conserve soil by reclaiming the land and protect lives and properties 2014 Jos South LGA.
- Reclamation of gully head at Rikkos To protect lives and properties. 2014 Jos North LGA
The Ministry’s future plan (initiatives).
- Establishment/development of integrated waste management facility.
- Privatization of waste collection.
- Introduction of community led total sanitation in order to stop open defecation and urination.
- Establishment of community based forest plantation.
- Resuscitation of tree nurseries across the tree senatorial zones for effective distribution of tree seedlings.
- Management of forest and game reserves.
- Urban forest/tree planting campaign.
- Flood/climate change awareness campaign.
- Establishment of hydro meteorological stations in flood prone zones.
- Monitoring of environmental impact assessment activities for developmental projects.
- Establishment of environmental conservation clubs in secondary schools.
- Renovation of Soil Conservation School Mile 8, Pankshin.
- Reclamation of fifteen (15) identified Gully Erosion sites in the State.
- The Ministry was nominated and inaugurated as a member of the National steering/National Technical committee on the United Nation Revised Framework for the Development of Environmental Statistics (FDES) representing the North Central States.
- Plateau State through the Ministry of Environment has been nominated to participate in the Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP) a World Bank project.
- The monthly sanitation programme has been sustained by the Ministry.