PLATEAU STATE TEACHERS SERVICE COMMISSION
The Teachers' Service Commission evolved from Teachers' State Board. The Law
establishing the Plateau State Teachers Service Commission (Law NO.3 of 1980) commenced 1st
Working towards having a fleet of patriotic, loyal and dedicated professional teachers
who are committed to the cause of teaching-Iearning tasks that inculcate knowledge, skills and
good character in learners for a progressive Plateau State and ultimately, a better society.
To produce a crop of teachers who are knowledgeable in Plateau State Service rules,
who are erudite and skillful in techniques, the result of which shall be a motivated proficient
teaching workforce and learners rooted in academic excellence.
FUNCTIONS/POWERS OF THE COMMISSION
• To recruit, register, confirm, promote, transfer and discipline teachers of Government
Secondary Schools and Government Grant-aided schools.
• To enforce the establishment of Boards of Governors in Voluntary Agency Schools and
Advisory Boards in Government-owned Secondary Schools.
• Keep records of Teachers movements into and out of the service by whatever exit
• Liaise with the Ministry of Education and Education Directorates of quasi-governments
on matters concerning teachers and their welfare.
• To supervise all Government Secondary School and Grant-aided schools.
COMMISSIONERS OF THE COMMISSION
The Commission consists of a Full-time Chairman and at least two full-time Members one of whom should be a superintendent of schools and not more than 5 part-time members.
STRUCTURE OF THE COMMISSION
1. Chairman Teacher' Service Commission
2. Commissioner 11
3. Permanent Secretary
4. Director of Administration
5. Director of Finance & Supplies
6. Assistant Chief Admin. Officer
7. Staff Officer
FUTURE PLANS OF THE COMMISSION (INITIATIVES)
• Massive recruitment of Teachers to fill in the gap created by those that retired from
• Training and re-training of Teachers for a better workforce in the teaching
• Inter-State transfer of Plateau State indigenes from crises prone areas (States).