With the growing awareness of disasters management issues, the State Government on the 6th November 2012 passed into law the bill establishing the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) Plateau State. Vision: To build a culture of preparedness, prevention, response, and community resilience to disasters in the state
Coordinates resources towards efficient and effective disaster prevention preparedness, mitigation and response in the state. In the light of the above stated vision and mission, the Agency is Governed by a Governing council headed by the Deputy Governor of the state. The Governing council is made up of relevant MDAs & bodies. It is the highest policy making body.
Composition of The Governing Council
- Deputy Governor - Chairman
- Hon. Commissioner Women Affairs
- Hon. Commissioner Environment
- Hon. Commissioner Works and Housing
- Hon. Commissioner Planning Commission
- Hon. Commissioner Agric & Natural Resources 7. Hon. Commissioner Health
- Hon. Commissioner Information
- Hon. Commissioner Finance 10.Hon. Commissioner Culture & Tourism 11.Hon. Commissioner Justice
- Hon. Commissioner Transport
- Hon. Commissioner Education
- State Fire Service
- Nigeria Police Force
- Nigerian Security & Civil Defence Corps
- Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria
- Federal Road Safety Corps
- Nigeria Army
- Nigeria Air force
- Operation Rainbow
- Red Cross
- Executive Secretary - Member/Secretary
The Executive Secretary is the Chief Executive and Accounting officer of the Agency. He/she is responsible for the day-to-day Administration of the Agency.
The Mandates of the Agency are as follows.
- Formulate policies on all activities relating to disaster management in the state.
- Coordinate plans and programs for efficient and effective response to disasters in the state
- Coordinate and promote research activities relating to disaster management in the state.
- Monitor and provide feedback to the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on the state of preparedness of all Organizations/Agencies which may contribute to disaster management within the state
- Collate data and report from relevant Agencies in the state so as to enhance forecasting, planning and field operation of disasters management and supply same to NEMA
- Educate the general public on disasters prevention and control measures for search and a rescue operation.
- Mobilize support and resources from the National Emergency Management Agency when damages and need assessment are considered beyond the capacity of the state
- Facilitate the enabling legislation for the establishment of Local Management Authority (LEMA) in the state etc
- FINANCE AND SUPPLIES
- RELIEF AND REHABILITATION
- SEARCH AND RESCUE
- Massive enlightenment campaigns on early warning sign of disasters
- Capacity building of personnel of the Agency for effective and efficient service delivery in the light of its mandates
- Review of current IDPs Situations in the state to enable for policy formulation and implementation.
- Contingency plans to contain/envisage disaster situations
- Advocacy in disaster prone areas/location to avert occurrence
- Constant sharing of information with relevant stakeholders
- Sensitization of the general public in disaster situation
- Articulating budget proposals in light of prevailing situation
- Prepositioning of essentials relief materials/drugs for victims of disasters
- Ensuring full take off of Local Emergency Management Authorities in the Local Government Areas.
REPORT OF THE ACTIVITIES CARRIED OUT BY SEARCH AND RESCUE DEPARTMENT FROM 2012, 2013 AND 2014: FUTURE PLANS
- Effective coordination of relevant stakeholders III disaster management
Ensuring the take off of local emergency management authorities in the local government areas in the state.
- Massive enlightenment campaign on causes of natural/manmade disasters in the state.
- Quick response to disaster situations
- Constant updating of IDPs situation to facilitate policy formulation.
- Provision of relief materials to IDPs
- Educating the public on disaster prevention and control measures within the state.
- Coordinate and facilitate the provision of necessary resources for search and rescue.
- Drawing of contingency plans to reflect disaster trends in the state.